Banana bread is my most favourite way of using up bananas that have gone a bit mushy – rather than throw them away, I always try to make something. I also had some coconut oil to use up, so I made some super moist and super easy banana bread which is also dairy free! The kids loved it too – it was amazing warm from the oven, but equally delicious eaten for breakfast the next morning with a topping of your choice.
- 100g coconut oil
- 200g soft brown sugar
- 4 small, very ripe bananas; mashed.
- 210g plain flour
- 2 eggs, gently whisked
- 1 tsp bicarb
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180C, Gas Mark 4
- Grease a 2lb loaf tin (also works in a small roasting tin, if you’ve not got one – just check on the bread after 30 minutes)
- If your coconut oil is still solid, heat it up gently in a microwave/pan or bain-marie as it’s easier to combine. It literally only needs 20 seconds in the microwave.
- Add the oil to the sugar and mix well.
- Add the salt, vanilla, eggs and banana. Beat until everything is combined.
- Sift in the flour and bicarb and fold in gently.
- spoon into the loaf tin and bake for around 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the bread.
- Serve warm or leave to cool.
- Warm with ice cream/dairy-free alterative
- Toasted with honey or butter/dairy-free alternative (It is particularly delicious with a nut butter)