This weekend marks the start of my big Spring clean. I’ve got some catching up to do housework wise, as I’ve had a ridiculously busy week and I’ve had to let a few things slide (okay, a lot of things!)
I’m no housekeeping expert but I do love a list and I do love clean and clutter-free house (she jests… with a houseful of children!) Anyway… I’m in the middle of writing a detailed Spring Cleaning post, but in the meantime, here’s some tips I’ve learned along the way.
- Numero uno, and possibly the most important tip of all – enlist help! You might well be the master of your house, but it doesn’t mean that everything is up to you. Everyone can chip in where they can.
- Don’t expect to get everything done in one day. Even if you have no other commitments, lots of help and plenty of motivation, cleaning a house from top to bottom is a big task. Spread it over at least a few days, if not a few weeks – especially if you are going for a thorough deep clean and declutter.
- My favourite word – DECLUTTER. You can not properly clean a room that is full of clutter. Tackle this before you even consider cleaning. Remember, if it’s not beautiful, hugely sentimental or useful in some way – re-home it or recycle. Just look at each item and say’ does this bring me joy?’ If the answer is no and it’s not something that helps you out on a day-to-day basis, then consider getting rid!
- Don’t move or lift anything that could cause you harm or risk damaging something in our home. Either enlist some strong arms to help, get a professional in to do it, or leave well alone. Injury or expensive damage is not worth the risk!
- Consider going green where your cleaning products are concerned. Homemade cleaning products are often cheaper than chemical based cleaning products and better for you, our environment and your home.
Keep your eyes peeled or subscribe for more cleaning tips and detailed cleaning routines – coming soon!
I’m taking part in Rosalilium’s Blog Every Day In May challenge. I’m looking forward to reading other #BEDM posts! You can find out more by clicking the badge below: